I estimate the composition at about 40% hard fat, 50% soft fat, 10% connective stuff.
- I chopped it as best I could into cubes between 1cm and 1in in size. The connective tissue I just tossed in straight.
- I added 60oz of water to the fat, and boiled it (low boil) for several hours. Suprisingly, it didn't make much of a change in the fat.
- I set it aside for the evening
- I boiled it more vigorously for 2 hrs in the morning, and it clearly began to separate.
- I kept a little water in the bottom of the pot the whole time, but it boiled away rapidly, so I was replacing it fairly frequently.
- After another 2 hrs, the fats seemed to be mostly dissolved.
- I set it inside a sink with cool water, and once it was cool, I put it in the fridge overnight.
- The next morning I broke the tallow cake and emptied out the water underneath, which was crowded and clouded with various material
- I cleaned the pot, put in some more water, tossed the tallow chunks back in, and repeated
- The tallow came out cleaner the second time, as did the water
- A third pass was yet better
I've become convinced that a little judicious scraping of the water-side of the tallow cake does a lot to improve the purity of the next iteration of the cake.
A light scrape after the 3rd render made the 4th one dramatically whiter.
* MATERIALS 40 oz beef trimmings, 2-4 gallons of water.
* PROCESS I did 4 renderings, including the initial one.
* PRODUCT The tallow stayed soft at any temperature above refrigerator temps (40 deg F) which is a bit of a bummer.
* YIELD I ended up with 19.5oz of tallow from my initial 40oz "beef trimmings" sample. Not sure if that's good, bad, or typical.